Surya Bhedhana Pranayama
Sun Piercing Breath
Surya is the sun and bhid, the root of bhedana means to pierce or pass through. In Surya Bhedana, all the inhales are done through the right nostril and exhales are through the left. This is a digital pranayama, meaning the fingers are used to manipulate the breath.
- Sit comfortably with the spine tall.
- Exhale completely and bring the right hand to the nostrils
- Using the ring finger, close off the left nostril
- Inhale deeply and slowly through the right nostril
- Seal off the right nostril with the thumb
- Exhale through the left nostril slowly and completely
- This is a complete cycle. Continue for 10-15 minutes.
- To end the practice, release the hand and inhale through both nostrils. Rest.
- Pranic energy is channeled through the pingala nadi
- Increases energy and heat in the body
- Improves digestive power
- Soothes and invigorates the nerves
- Cleanses the sinuses
- Surya Bhedana is good for low blood pressure.
- In the case of nasal blockages, practice as best you can. Eventually the blocked nostril becomes clear.
- Variations of this practice include inhaling and exhaling exclusively through the right nostril.